Györ claim emphatic win against CSKA
Hungarian teams won both duels against their Russian rivals in the DELO EHF Champions League this weekend. After FTC-Rail Cargo Hungaria beat Rostov-Don on Saturday, Györi Audi ETO KC defeated CSKA on Sunday, 32:22.
- the Hungarian heavyweights have a perfect record of three straight wins in the competition and top group B, while CSKA dropped their first points
- CSKA drew level as many as 12 times before the 35th minute, but then the home side started to pull clear
- Györ's Veronica Kristiansen received a red card midway through the first half for hitting Polina Kaplina's face with a penalty shot
- CSKA's Ana Gros and Karina Sabirova became top scorers of the game with six goals
- as many as 12 players netted for Györ, including the goalkeeper Silje Solberg, but Stine Oftedal was the best with five goals
Home side dominant after the break
While CSKA stayed in the fight until early in the second half, later on Györ began to pull clear. The home side looked fresher, were good as a team and improved their defence, while Silje Solberg made a string of saves in goal.
The Russian champions looked tired and scored only seven goals in the second half, and in the four encounters with Györ, they suffered the third straight defeat.
We stayed calm and the question was only, whether we will be able to fix our defence, which gave confidence to us in attack as well.