Valcea snatch two points at Vác
With one round to go in the group phase of the EHF European League Women, SCM Ramnicu Valcea had already secured second place in group D.
On Sunday afternoon, the Romanian side ended the group phase with a narrow 31:30 win at Váci NKSE in a match that was only decided when Daciana Hosu stopped Konszuéla Hámori's shot with two seconds remaining.
- Vác had a slight advantage in the opening 30 minutes and led by one goal at the break
- six minutes into the second half, the hosts pulled clear at 21:17 before a 4:0 run helped Valcea to draw level
- Bobana Klikovac gave the Romanian team their first lead in the 43rd minute, 24:23, and the close fight continued until the last second
- Klikovac and Iryna Glibko scored seven goals each for Valcea, while Csenge Kuczora netted nine times for Vác
- Valcea will face Herning-Ikast in the quarter-finals, and Vác, who finished bottom of the group with two points, are eliminated
Elghaoui had the last word
Line player Asma Elghaoui had scored 28 goals in five previous group matches, but she did not have a big impact against Vác, netting just twice.
However, it was the Tunisian-born player, who notably holds Hungarian citizenship and played for Siófok KC and Györi Audi ETO KC in the past, who scored the winner against Vác in Hungary in the 59th minute.
It is always hard to play in Vác. It was a good and intense match and we are happy to win at the end. I’m very sad about the injury of our captain, but we hope it is not very serious.
It was a very tough match from the beginning until the last minutes of the match. It was a much better match than the first match in Romania. We could show that this is our real face. We are quite satisfied that we could learn a lot from that match. We wish good luck in the future to Valcea in both the European and national leagues.