Magdeburg extend unbeaten run at Velenje’s expense
Ten days after winning the IHF Men’s Super Globe 2021, SC Magdeburg continued their superb form with a 31:27 win against RK Gorenje Velenje, throwing off Group C with a clear win.
RK Gorenje Velenje (SLO) vs SC Magdeburg (GER) 27:31 (14:13)
- Magdeburg extended their winning streak to 11 games in all competitions this season, winning the IHF Men’s Super Globe in October and leading the German Bundesliga
- German left wing Lukas Mertens, who scored 58 goals in last season’s EHF European League Men, was Magdeburg’s best scorer, with six goals
- Velenje had a good start of the game, leading throughout the first half and even taking a 16:13 lead after 32 minutes, only for Magdeburg to deploy a 6:0 six-minute unanswered run to run away with the lead
- Magdeburg’s attack made the difference, with a 62% efficiency, while their goalkeepers, Jannick Green and Mike Jensen, combined for only five saves
- the German side has lost only one of their last 20 games played in the Men’s EHF Cup and the EHF European League Men: in last year’s group phase, against Swedish side Alingsas HK
Magdeburg, a tough team to beat once again
Reigning champions SC Magdeburg extended their winning streak in the EHF European League Men to 13 games, with a strong win against RK Gorenje Velenje. Back in the second-tier European competition after a one-season hiatus, the Slovenian side had a strong challenge, only to falter in the second half, a testament of Magdeburg’s depth.
The German side are once again one of the contenders for the title and will certainly be a tough nut to crack even for the stronger sides of the competition.
We played well in the first half, but unfortunately in the end the quality of the opponents was deservedly celebrated. You could see they had more experience and more breadth than we did.